Wednesday 23 November 2011

One day in Jaipur, India


It was the 7th of October, 2011

We all know that it's humanly impossible to cover as much as even half of such a stupefying and enthralling city like Jaipur in one day. But even while walking through just a few parts of the city I stumbled upon a lot of things that compelled me to turn a second glance at and to go ahead and capture it forever.

Alas, like always, I gave my companions a very hard time ! :)

This particular hobo couple was sitting outside Bhagwaan Shree Sulelal temple. What I loved about them (apart from their very cheerful spirit) was their oblivious sense of teaming things up, be it the bandana or their baggy attires, beards or the beaded accessories.

The Jal Mahal, a wonderful sight! 
After all how many times do you get to see a gorgeous palace in the middle of a lake.

Picture courtesy: Sushmita Barthakur (my elder sister)

I was having a sort of a mental debate while riding the camel (which is not at all evident from my expressions) 'bout if its a kind of torture to ride on animals. But then I realized there's no point thinking 'bout it now when I was actually riding it. I couldn't jump from it even if I lost the debate. 
O by the way that's my cousin Krishti accompanying me.

Amber fort is one hell of an architectural marvel. The flock of pigeons around the palace were taking flight now and then but I had to wait until a nasty row with our very stubborn driver got over to capture this one. Tadaa!

After i clicked this one everybody started asking why am i so obsessed with birds. So, as you see, this was the last one with birds.

I have done mirror work on fabric surfaces but for the first time I came across mirror work in interiors. Not that i didn't know it existed. I had seen images of  it but to see it for real was a totally jaw-dropping experience!

A marvelous view of the city through a window inside the Amber fort.

Sapera or snake charmers. This is the very first time i witnessed such a proper traditional sapera performance.

I've always been crazy about the art and craft of my country so you can imagine what it was like to see it all over the place.



Somehow, this whole composition reflected a very real India to me. The man wearing kurta-dhoti and the typical Indian wall carvings as background. You know what i mean right!

It seems monkeys have become an integral part of the Indian society. :P
 But how i wish i could jump around like them. Life would have been much easier! 



These old worn out doors have their own grandeur. I so love 'em!

 This cute little girl, with naturally bleached hair (sadly due to lack of iron in her body), wearing a worn out stripped shirt and printed skirt, really caught my eyes. She was quite timid and was running all over the place, hiding behind her mother, forbidding me from clicking a pefect picture. Finally I had to actually tip her mom with five or ten bucks (fair enough) to make her pose for this picture.

The day ended with a disastrous dinner at Choki dhani, although, it wasn't a disastrous night all in all. I loved the hospitality shown during dinner but for some reason i did not understand a single dish they served.
Choki dhani is basically a village resort where you'd find a lot of things happening around the place, from traditional folk dance in one corner to sapera in another, to rope walking, to local games..........and the list rolls on and on and on.



The day flew away faster than i though it would but I had captured every bit of it! It might sound funny but I always get a li'l sentimental while leaving a place no matter how much ever time I had spent there.

                                             Even if it was just for a day....! 

14 comments:

  1. nice yaar... the view from the window.. its toooo good..

    ReplyDelete
  2. hoi neki..:))
    thanks so much..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the way u edit your pics.. :)
    Thr is the "su" touch in thm <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Su touch!wah wah!!! thank you harshi:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. u captured d tiny details girlll...kooolll ...loving it :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. good going su, really like the way each picture has that indian touch n ur description adds d spice...!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. hehee....yeaaayyyy....i'm so happy you guys liked it...:*
    xoxo monika & aarti

    ReplyDelete
  8. love the header su.. but the lime green is merging.. choose another color

    ReplyDelete
  9. n ya.. needless to say.. like ur narration/description :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. okay....i'll change a bit then...thanks for the suggestion and for complimenting on my write up :*

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Meetu, loved the blog... Never thod all that u kept of clicking the whole day cud assemble into something so beautiful... Keep in up... :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. @mainamoni ba....i kinda knew you'd like it..hehee...thanks :P

    ReplyDelete