Tuesday 20 December 2011

Aamchi Mumbai

A strictly official two-day expedition it was to Mumbai but guess what? We did much more than just that!

On the 29th of November, 2011, we, the Polaroid Pages team, reached our destination early in the morning. Laurent and Benon, the guest house in Bandra, was one hell of a cool place. Absolutely cozy and an amazing view of the city from the balcony. What more can you ask for from a city where space-constraint is a major MAJOR problem.


Yes, there are slums all over the place but boy I was surprised to know that these slums have much more than just the basic facilities required for survival. Electricity, television with cable connection, refrigerator and God knows what!

Once on the streets I came across this couple in Hill Road. The old man looked pretty worried. My heart went out to them.  

O i loooove beads !! Came across these very funky ones in Linkin road. Of course they are very common but couldn't help myself from putting this one up. sorry :P

Mumbai heat affected this poor pigeon too. 

Mollycoddled by Bangalore’s pleasant climate, it became extremely hard for the four of us to stand the unbeatable scorching heat of this new city. So, we couldn’t stay out long.
After a short catnap back in the room it was time to get dressed up for the meeting in Marriott. After all that was precisely what we were in Mumbai for in the first place.


Yvan Rodic, the Facehunter guy and our reason for coming to Mumbai. 

He might not be that damn eminent in India but on the international 'street fashion' blogging scenario he is quite a rage. Yvan Rodic has covered more than half the world in search of street style that is simple yet edgy. It was his first time in India and I was extremely excited to meet him but we screwed up a little in the beginning by getting kinda err late. Damn! Can you bloody beat that! We got freaking late. We had been warned about Mumbai's traffic but anyways it was extremely embarrassing and when we reached he was calmly sitting in one corner of the cafeteria in Marriott with our few other colleagues (who were absolutely on time), no signs of annoyance or irritation in his eyes. Check out the entire interview here 

After the meeting, I and Bhaswa headed straight to Linkin road to meet one of our college friend, Smil. O what fun it was to hang out with him all over again. Wish it could last forever. 


The night view of the city from my balcony

The moment I reached my room I walked into the balcony to take a minute to relax and recall the events of my perfect evening. What I didn't know, however, was that there was still a whole lot more to come. I was mesmerized by the sight of the twinkling lights all over the place. My friends were at some lounge and texted me to join in. I couldn't resist myself and quickly left for WTF, a lounge in Varsova. Now, don't get me wrong. It only stands for where's the fire :P
Karaoke night it was and me, Sucheta(my colleague, friend) and Joan (Sucheta's friend) gave an aural assault to the crowd when we sang Boulevard of broken dreams. Greenday would stop singing if they heard us. Everybody was booing but that didn't stop us. Nothing could stop us. We sang, we danced, we laughed, we screamed....We had the time of our life!

But alas it was time to get back to work early the very next day. We left early for Phoenix mall but since no photography was allowed in there we didn't spend too much time and left for Lokhandwala.

Every shop in Mumbai had to have the name of the store written in Hindi compulsorily. I loved the rustic-floral arrangement in this store board.

These lazy dogs are hazards in my work life. I always come across one especially when I'm tired and exhausted working.

 While we were on our way to Inorbit mall, Malad, I noticed this auto and I liked something about it. It was only while flipping through these images in my laptop, once back in Bangalore that I realized it was the sea green top of the auto that really stood out. It’s usually yellow. I know I’m impressed by real silly things.

Smil and Dharmendra(another college friend) joined in Inorbit which turned out to be the only exciting thing throughout my second and the last day in Mumbai.


Blinding lights. A trick of focus. 

Finally, on my way back to station. 

All of us were terribly totally broke and I absolutely cannot imagine how we could have made it to the station in a taxi and eventually have a very filling dinner in a station restaurant if not for my dear ma's ATM. Thank you Ma for always being my life savior…..and…..

...so long, Mumbai !!








10 comments:

  1. awwww..love the post..reminded me of how much fun we had in this trip!!!karaokee!!cant frget!!awesomly written as usual suran...<3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoa Suchi...thanks so much! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. reminded me of my mumbai trip back in march..awesme work suranjeeta..keep posting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did it really! great! thank you Higu! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super like the clicks swthrt..! spcly.. the one.. playing with focus n all.. mks me remind of piyush's click at bandra..!! Way to go.. :)
    n u hv sum good writing abilities..!! like it :) muah

    ReplyDelete
  6. u actually read the whole thing....wow! hehee..i'm glad..thanks harshi! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. I did :)
    coz u wrote it :) Really

    ReplyDelete